CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Well, that's just SICK!

Boops is almost 14 months old and I am working very hard at getting him weaned. Every time we get close to closing down the snack shack, I get a mastitis and we're back to square one. I'm cutting out feedings one feeding at a time and the night feeding was one of the first to go. Who wants to get up in the middle of the night every night and if you keep feeding the baby at night, their body gets used to having a feeding then so their little time clock wakes them up for a snack. 


So, last night around midnight, Boops starts crying. My husband and I laid in bed going back and forth as to whether we should get up and let him nurse or could we be strong and allow him to cry it out and work through it on his own. We decide to let him cry it out and we were pretty proud of ourselves because we did. We lot him cry for about 5 minutes, which I know isn't a long time but for us, it's an eternity because he never has to cry that long before we RUSH in to save our poor little man. 

This morning, we slept in until almost 9 AM. That's unheard of for him but we had friends over last night and we were all up late so I figured he was recouping and charging his batteries. He has a Fisher-Price Rain Forest music player in his crib. He LOVES it. He'll wake up, push  the toucan and start up the music and waterfall sounds then lay back down and slowly wake up to these soothing sounds. 

I hear the music and let it play through a cycle then he is stirring so I go in to get him. He seems a little extra clingy and STINKY when I grab him. It wasn't a usual stinky either. (if you know what I mean.) I pull him back to look at him and there's pink all over his shoulder. What in the sam hill is that? I peer into the crib, yep, vomit. All over the sheets is dried pink puke. 

Immediately, the guilt sets in. What kind of mother am I? My son was crying out in the middle of the night for me and I didn't go rescue him!! Ugh, I should be taken out and flogged. As you can guess, I will NOT be letting him 'cry it out' again any time soon. If he cries again tonight, I will be in that room faster than Dale Earnhardt Jr. can get around the track in a Nascar race. 

Boops seems just fine now and shows no signs of feeling sick but the guilt will haunt me forever. I guess I can count my name being taken out of the running for Mother of the Year 2008. 

2 comments:

halfpint said...

oh noooo. poor little Boops. give him a night or two and try again. he won't always puke. i still toss around whether or not i should get up with the squatch. i let him cry the other night and when i got up in the morning, i realized he was soaking wet. he had so much water and juice the evening before at his Mimi's house that even his "overnight" diaper couldn't suffice. i felt like crap. my child was laying in a wet bed, wet jamas and wet diaper for half the night. i hated myself that morning.

Sherri said...

Awww... poor Squatch! And all the grandkids call my mom Mei Mei too. We spell it different but it's the same. I love that!