CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 1, 2008

I love November 1st

I am not a big fan of Halloween. My kids dress up and trick or treat, we go to the pumpkin patch and carve pumpkins mostly because I enjoy seeing my kids' creativity in the carve and who doesn't like a pumpkin guts fight in the backyard? But I don't decorate the house or really celebrate it in any other way. I am always excited to see my kids in their costumes and full regalia because they are usually hilarious but I am doubly excited that November 1st is the next day. 


For our family, November 1st kicks off THE Holiday Season, Thanksgiving and Christmas. We start listening to Christmas music because waiting until December just doesn't give us enough time to hear our favorite tunes or to Rock Around the Christmas Tree with Peggy Lee. Can I tell you that today is the PERFECT November 1st? It's pouring rain outside, toasty in the house, and we have Christmas carols piping through the house. 

Our Christmas tree will go up the night before Thanksgiving.  After the last piece of turkey has been eaten and the pumpkin pie is nothing but a few crumbs of crust left in the dish, we can turn the lights on Thanksgiving night and sit in the living room together and enjoy the warm glow and sense of family togetherness that few other moments can capture on an annual basis. 

November means all the spooks and goblins are behind us. What lies before us in the coming months is the cozy glow of fireplaces, warm breads and cookies coming from the oven, and the overwhelming feeling of friendship and love that the holidays bring. I was sad to see summer go. I love warm weather and flip flops. But I am elated to feel the warmth of the spirit of love and generosity that abounds this time of year. Yes, it is November 1st and I am giddy as a child awaiting Christmas morning, waiting to see what this season has in store for us. 

3 comments:

KimmyDarling said...

Your words actually got me looking forward to the holiday season-- much earlier than I usually do (if at all). Thanks for that.

You should also know that I dreamed last night that I had to be in some sort of pageant (think "had to" like Sandra Bullock's character had to in "Miss Congeniality"). You were with me every step of the way-- my very own Michael Caine. I'm sure I did not win, though I'm also sure that was all me, and not you -- my biggest challenge was learning how to Smile Right. I just couldn't get the hang it, and when I came close, I nearly bit my tongue off!

But anyway... thanks for your help! LOL :)

Unknown said...

I feel so much the same way. It's such a relief to have Halloween in the rearview mirror and be able to focus on the happier holidays coming up.

I like celebrating Thanksgiving. I picked up a few gourds today at the store, and have been trying to find my little Pilgrims and Indians to set up by the door. I'll be ready to put up Christmas right after Thanksgiving, I just enjoy the relative peace of Thanksgiving before Christmas.

(Now, at work we will be putting up Christmas tonight after the store closes, so I will get my carol on shortly.)

Gladys said...

See I think that goes back to our youth. The let down of Halloween being over and the excitement of the next BIG thing.

Oh and Kimmy YOU would win!